Color - Week 4

I choose to read about Philip Lorca Dicorcia in this article: Attentive Contradictions: The Photographic World of Philip-Lorca diCorcia




The most interesting thing I found in this article is about Dicorcia's books Thousand and A Storybook Life (which is where my images came from). It was said that he intended not to give a chronilogical sense of time but rather a slowly developing time frame for both and for Thousand one that is at time completely random and mundane. These image than respond to one another and force the viewer to reconsider the relationships between images, the point of the book, and the emotion within it.

I find that idea extremely interesting and inspiring. My book project is something that I'm having a hard time figuring out and knowing that books that are successful by artists whom I admire can be so random at times is freeing.

He also stated that his sequencing relies on the either direct satisfaction or denial of the viewers expectations including the use of his family members in some of them. I think that because of the title of A Storybook Life the viewer is lead into this idea of fantasy or perfection and met with the mundane reality or insignifcant moments of a persons life. This to me makes the more or less interesting depending on the viewers willingness to have their expectations rejected. On one hand it's a disappointment for those looking for whimsy. On the other that rejection then sets in a whole new interest in the reality of the images.

All in all I would suggest reading the article.

¡Compártelo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Buscar

 

About

Mandy H - Photo I Copyright © 2011 | Tema diseñado por: compartidisimo | Con la tecnología de: Blogger