Photo II - Week 6



The first image I choose is Coast near point Reyes, California by Ansel Adams. I chose this photograph because while it involved landscape it felt much more like a skyscape. I think what makes this photo successful is the mimicking of landscapes shape in the clouds. They both form a a c shaped curve that is very successful. Adams use of the zone system also created a tonally balanced image so that it had all the detail of the landscape without loosing the glow of the sky or clouds. I found this image on Artstor.





The next image I selected is by Harry Callahan. It is titled Eleanor and Barbara (baby carriage) and is a silver print from 1952. While the subject matter of a child and her mother is always beautiful to me I also really enjoy the image for what it looks like as well. Callahans use of point of view forces the viewer into curved path and back out in a calm way that feels natural and genuine. This feeling then carries on due to the calm of the subject themselves. While the image itself is dark it still has plenty of detail to add to its beauty. To see more of Callahans work click here.



The final image for this week is Blowing Bubbles by Sally Mann. It is a featured part of her book "Immediate Family". The dramatic lighting is what draws me into the image. Once pulled in the viewer bounces around first looking at the children and then to their cultured surroundings. The selective focus for the image also helps the viewer to notice these things as well. However when it comes to the subject I feel that the childs direct gaze helps the image. Had she been turned around with her sister I don't think it would hold the same feeling. To view more of her work you can visit her website here.

¡Compártelo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Buscar

 

About

Mandy H - Photo I Copyright © 2011 | Tema diseñado por: compartidisimo | Con la tecnología de: Blogger